Thursday, January 31, 2008

2nd Artefact

Here is my second artefact, made in the same way as the last but with limitations from the SNES, which in this case isn't much of a limitation looking back on the last artefact.


As you can see, it is much more detailed and colourful.

Here is an example of some of the stages i went through in tweaking the image, from making the neck smaller to altering the wings.

2nd Artefact Evaluation

I carried my pixel art on from my 1st artefact in the second one, but this time I based the specifications on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, released in 1992 in Europe. Due to the advanced technology available to this system I could produce an image that was much bigger and allowed many more colours, the size I used was 64x64 pixels, and I was allowed to use a palette of 16 colours that I could choose from a possible 32,768 colours. Due to these more forgiving limitations, the image I created was much better looking, and even though a state of realism could not really be achieved within the space of 64x64 pixels, an artist could create an entity with lots of character. I don’t know how my research into whether computer game characters created with realistic modelling are less aesthetically pleasing will turn out at this time, but pixel art is still very popular today so that may sway peoples opinions. For this artefact I found that I could draw out the lines straight into Photoshop unlike the NES image where I had to carefully place each pixel for maximum effect. I followed tutorials online that suggested having an outline of 1 pixel thick, so I made sure to delete pixels that were grouped up in an ugly way, this gave me a good insight into making pixel images look good. I also had more space to create the ‘wing’ ribbons that were just a line in the NES image; everyone that I showed the NES image couldn’t make out what it was at first, but a few did think that they were wings. Due to this experience I realised like never before how great a leap the NES was to the SNES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home